Monday, November 22, 2010

Did They Really Understand?

Scripture Verses that Caught my attention today: Matthew 13:51-52 “Have you understood all this?” They answered, “Yes.” 52 And he said to them, “Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like the master of a household who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old.”

Observation: Really? Did they understand?

Application: Periodically I’ve caught myself over the years nodding in agreement with someone as if I understood what they were talking about. They may have been describing a place of which they thought I was familiar or a relative that they thought I knew or maybe they were even describing what they do at work (perhaps because I asked) but the topic soon went over my head. Still, sometimes I nodded on as if I actually understood what they were saying even if I scarcely had a clue.

I think that’s what the disciples have done in regard to Jesus; they have pretended to understand what, in reality, has gone way over their heads. It’s no wonder that, often times in Matthew’s Gospel, Jesus addresses them by saying, “O ye of little faith.”

Thankfully, a little faith is enough. Jesus says it’s enough to move mountains or, in regard to humanity, reason enough to keep otherwise faltering disciples—then as well as now.

Prayer: Lord, thanks for putting up with us even when we don’t necessarily understand what you are all about. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(readings today included: Matthew 11-13)

No comments:

Post a Comment