Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Of One Mind

Scripture verses that caught my attention today: Philippians 4:2-3 I urge Euodia and I urge Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. 3 Yes, and I ask you also, my loyal companion, help these women, for they have struggled beside me in the work of the gospel, together with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.

Observation:
These are often overlooked verses in this very popular chapter in the Bible. They also express one of Paul’s few admonitions in this book.

Application: For as long as there has ever been two or more people in the same place, a common observation has come to mind; “why can’t they just get along?” Human beings are a interesting lot. Our propensity for sin is often most evident in our struggle to offer mutual respect and put aside petty differences, even among the faithful. Competition and resentment are often two sides of the same coin. Even Euodia and Syntyche were not immune to such things, so it’s no surprise that similar issues are rampant today. Still, Paul prayed that things might be different, and so can we.

Prayer: Lord, you once prayed that we might all be one as you and the Father are one. We long for the day when it is so. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: 1 Kings 15, 2 Chronicles 13-14, Philippians 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment