Tuesday, January 2, 2018

My Best Book Recommendations of 2017

The ability to read and the availability of books to read is a gift. In 2017 I read 45 books, twelve of which were audio books. This list does not include my devotional reading of Scripture.

Below are the particular books I PERSONALLY found most helpful and why. (Note: The books listed in the order I read or listened to them.)

"The Obstacle is the Way" by Ryan Holiday

This is basically stoic wisdom. However, I personally believe that this concept can be readily applied to what in theological circles is called "The Theology of the Cross." In other words, what looks like the worst thing possible in front of us can in fact be the very means through which God/Christ can make us whole or enable us to grow. Taken this way, obstacles are not necessarily to be either ignored or avoided but, rather, embraced as opportunities through which God can work.

"Meditations by Marcus Aurelius", translation by Gregory Hays
This is definitely stoic wisdom. But that doesn't mean we can't learn some things from it. I did find parts of it fatalistic. But I'm also amazed by the wisdom of people from long ago. This is a good book to read a section at a time and also encourages us to take personal responsibility whenever we can. Again, I would have to nuance some of these perspectives from my own faith understanding. Take some of this "wisdom" with a grain of salt.

"Speak to Sell: Persuade, Influence, and Establish Authority to Promote your products, Services, Practice, Business, or Cause" by Dan Kennedy
I think every pastor would do well to read this book. Though primarily secular in nature, Dan Kennedy's 40+ years in the direct-response marketing business gives him incredibly well-honed understanding and processes for connecting with whomever we feel most led to reach. Yes, the Holy Spirit is the ultimate mover that can work through any sermon. But that doesn't mean we get out of seminary without taking a course or two on preaching.  With all due respect to my own professors of preaching, this book might be more practically helpful.

"America's Pastor: Billy Graham and the shaping of a nation" by Grant Wacker
I grew up watching Billy Graham crusades on television. That's basically all I knew about him. This book gives tremendously helpful background information on the heart of his evangelical desires, methodology and a significant amount of political influences as well. You don't have to like Billy Graham to find this book significantly insightful. And Wacker includes a fair amount of nuanced critique of his own. I recommend the audio version of this book for those with that option.

"The Practice of Adaptive Leadership" by Heifetz, Linsky, Grashow
This is a rather academic book that is not for the faint of heart. But if you're in a significant leadership position (and if you're a pastor you ARE in a significant leadership position!), this book could well touch a nerve in your soul in a helpful way. I particularly appreciated the insight of the difference between technical and adaptive leadership.

"The Four Agreements" by Don Ruiz
Two things you need to know. FIRST, when you discover that a book has made a significant difference in the life of a person you respect and/or has influence, you might want to read it yourself. I read an interview with Pro Football Quarterback Tom Brady and he mentioned that this book was foundational to his life. So I quickly wrote down the title and ordered it soon thereafter. SECOND, the four agreements highlighted in this book (that you make with yourself) are well worth taking to heart. Most of the perfectly avoidable heartaches I've experienced in my life were a result of me breaking one or more of these agreements.

"Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity" by Nabeel Qureshi 
Last year I decided that I needed to learn more about Islam. Honestly, I didn't think I was going to like this book. It was given to me as a gift. But I found the first half of the book to be an excellent introduction to the Islamic family life. I felt the second half of the book was perhaps a little too apologetic (as in trying to argue/convince why Christianity is better) for my tastes. But the first half of the book was very helpful for me.

"Do the Work" by Steven Pressfield
This is a very, very small and very easy to read book and it's a perfect kick in the pants for you if you have a project or passion that you've just never gotten around to getting off the ground. Be forewarned, Steven speaks very directly.

"The Shaping of things to Come" by Frost and Hirsch
Frost and Hirsch deeply challenge the way we've been doing church in our part of the world and it's hard to argue with their conclusions--we've become a bunch of clubs more so than a mission movement. The authors challenge us to come back around to what it really means to be the people of God in this world. Note: this is a little tougher book to read.

"Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home" by Richard Foster
This is an absolutely loving read. In other words, you will feel loved as you read it. Challenged too. Or at least I did.

"The Renegade Pastor's Guide to Time Management" by Searcy/Jarman
There's a zillion books on time management out there. This one's a quick practical read that I think many pastors would find helpful. Side note: One of the authors, Nelson Searcy, has coached me as a pastor for the last few years.

"12 Ways Your Phone is Changing You" by Tony Reinke
I read this little book in one day while on a short vacation. Especially appreciated the chapter about the fear of missing out. It's a little literalistic in it's interpretation of scripture and a little heavy on the eternity focus, but all in all it's a really helpful and balanced exploration of how it's important to take a step back and essentially realize that the phone was made for us, not use for the phone.

"Change Your Questions. Change Your Life" by  Marilee Adams
This is I believe the most helpful book I've read this year. It's written mostly in the form of a story that follows about 3 main characters. And parts of that are maybe a little hokey. But the basic concepts and application strategies are spot on. If your the kind of person who tends to be overly hard on yourself and/or you struggle with bouts of self-judgement and doubt, this book will open your eyes to a world of new possibilities and offer some remarkably simple questions to help get u there.

I hope you find some of these books helpful. Feel free to comment below with your own favorites. Have a blessed start to your new year. One of my goals is to read a book a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment