Saturday, September 18, 2010

What we need to know and don't need to know.

Scripture Verse that caught my attention today: Luke 1:56 And Mary remained with her about three months and then returned to her home.

Observation: Looks as if Mary left right before Elizabeth was ready to give birth.

Application: Just a short reflection today. It seems odd to me that Mary would leave without waiting to see the new baby. To be fair, the passage doesn’t make it absolutely clear that Mary left before John was born, but it does imply as much. One would think that curiosity would have prevailed. Perhaps not. Perhaps Mary was content to simply know that Elizabeth was going to have a child, as was she.

Once in a while (though surely not always) I’m a little that way—a trait from the Wilson side. Sometimes it’s enough for me to know the generalities and I’m not compelled to know all the specifics. That’s not always a good thing, but it’s nice to have Mary’s example as a reminder that it’s not always a bad thing either.

Prayer: Lord help me to know what I need to know and to be content not knowing what I don’t need to know. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Scripture Readings today included: Ezekiel 45-46 and Luke 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment