Thursday, September 2, 2010

When the Earth is No Longer Flat

Scripture Verse that Caught My attention Today: Revelation 7:1 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth so that no wind could blow on earth or sea or against any tree.

Observation: the writer of Revelation assumed a flat earth. And who controls the wind, anyhow?

Application: This morning I read an editorial on wind farms. According to the article, wind farms are not a good idea largely because the wind is unpredictable.

It’s not my purpose to argue for or against wind farms. But I do agree that the wind, at least where I live, is not consistent. It blows hard one day and hardly at all the next. It seems like it blows a lot in the wintertime and not so much in the summer. But that’s just my perception.

The writer of Revelation perceived that the earth was flat and he probably also assumed that it was either square or rectangular in shape, hence the ‘four corners.’

These days we know that the earth doesn’t have corners because it’s a three-dimensional globe rather than a large piece of flatness. But that doesn’t mean that we know everything. There is still some mystery that we have not yet been able to uncover, even if, by now, meteorologists are able to explain the whole wind phenomenon too.

Interestingly, even with our limited knowledge, God can still speak through us a message of truth. John saw in his vision a multitude that no-one could count standing before the throne of God. I think he was onto something!

Prayer:
Lord, help us to be part of that innumerable crowd. I’ll bet it will circle the globe. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Scripture readings today included: Ezekiel 17-19 and Revelation 7)

No comments:

Post a Comment