Saturday, March 5, 2011

General Bibical Reflection

A General Biblical Reflection:

Today I read Deuteronomy 1-2 and Mark 12. I appreciated each of these readings but couldn’t seem to focus in on any one verse or passage. Hence I’m taking a one-day break from separating my devotion into different segments.

The Deuteronomy piece is part of a large speech by Moses to all of the Israelites, recounting some history of what God had said and what the people had done. I was left wondering how Moses was physically able to speak in a way that all of the Israelites could hear. I also noticed the amount of his time that was spent as a judge.

In Mark we have Jesus presented as one who sends the first volley of judgment toward the religious leaders. They in turn try to trap him in various ways that he, of course, skillfully avoids. In this chapter Mark presents a picture of a sparring Jesus at odds with the establishment and thus fueling a growing populist movement.

Earlier this morning I read of a relatively new religious movement/denomination that, in my opinion, revels in slandering their main opponent who was formerly their partner in the gospel. Upon reflection, it strikes me that the way in which the leaders of this movement speak and write of their main opponent is quite similar to how ex-spouses sometimes refer to one another, especially when feelings of hurt and betrayal are still raw.

The above-mentioned thoughts are not necessarily intended to be related to each other or a provision of answers on their own. They are merely thoughts that are periodically passing each other in my mind on this cloudy day when I wish all could be right in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment