Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Vision

Scripture Passage that Caught my attention today: Mark 8:22-25 They came to Bethsaida. Some people brought a blind man to him and begged him to touch him. 23 He took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village; and when he had put saliva on his eyes and laid his hands on him, he asked him, “Can you see anything?” 24 And the man looked up and said, “I can see people, but they look like trees, walking.” 25 Then Jesus laid his hands on his eyes again; and he looked intently and his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly.

Observation: I wonder what people did before corrective lenses.

Application: In sixth grade I noticed that I was having a little trouble seeing the chalk-board in school. Turns out that I needed glasses. To this day my sight up close is excellent, even better than 20/20. My vision at a distance is another story. Otherwise, although I can see people, I can’t necessarily recognize who they are. I need corrective lenses for clarity.

It has little if anything to do with the passage above, but I am curious what the general populace did prior to the advent of corrective lenses. And in the passage above, I wonder what it was about this particular blind man that led the people to not only bring him to Jesus, but to actually beg that Jesus touch him. Was the man endeared to them in some a special way, or were they simply tired of having to process his various requests themselves? Either way, Jesus wasn’t just what the doctor ordered, he was the doctor that ordered!

Prayer: Lord, help me to see more and more clearly the role(s) you have for me in this world. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Scripture Readings included: Numbers 28-29 and Mark 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment