Monday, November 21, 2011

Here and Now

Scripture passage that caught my attention today: Matthew 8:24-26 A windstorm arose on the sea, so great that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. 25 And they went and woke him up, saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!” 26 And he said to them, “Why are you afraid, you of little faith?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a dead calm.

Observation: Jesus was able to sleep through quite a bit of racket. Didn’t seem to let the worries of the moment keep him from sleep.

Application:
I woke up around 3:45 this morning to the sound of rain. I eventually got back to sleep, but not soundly. There was a wrestling match going on in my mind. In the one corner was my desire to get some much-needed sleep. In the other corner was my awareness of what needs to get done in a short week, my concern about some situations some people I know are going through, and my own unsettled ponderings as to how I might best be helpful through all these things.

Ironically, what would probably be more helpful all the way around would simply be a good night’s sleep! If only I were better at setting everything else aside to catch a little shut-eye so that I might rise refreshed to meet whatever challenges are presented on following day.

I know a counselor who often speaks about the importance of being present in the moment—as opposed to being preoccupied with what is not yet or stuck in a time that has already passed by.

Jesus seemed to know the art of such things. There he was, asleep in the midst of a storm. His disciples might wake him, but the storm would not. I’m not sure if he went right back to sleep after calming the storm or not. But somehow I think he probably did.

Prayer: Lord, help us be engaged in our present moments and not let the concerns of the future or events of the past prevent us from participating fully in your gift of the here and now. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Matthew 8-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment