Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Finding Extraordinary in the Simple

Luke 2:12
This will be a sign for you: you will find a child wrapped in bands of cloth and lying in a manger.”

I used to enjoy the old Indiana Jones Movies. I remember in one movie he had to choose the proper chalice among many. There were lots of really fancy ones on display, but the real chalice was the plain unadorned one. Just a simple cup, really.

The sign the angel promised to the shepherds was really plain. A child. Just wrapped up in ordinary cloth. Lying, of all places, in a manger.

Years ago my mom used to give me some of my Christmas presents in a brown paper bag stapled shut at the top with my name scribbled big letters with magic marker. She wasn’t being disrespectful. She had a lot on her plate and wrapping presents just wasn’t where she chose to spend her energy. But the gifts, well, the gifts were still precious. Both the gift itself and the gift of knowing who it came from.

The shepherds were about to discover as much and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment