Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Friend's Comment That's Helped Me Stay Fit for Years

Thirteen years ago a family friend visited our house in the summer. I was 35 and in pretty decent shape. He was 45 and somewhat pudgy. One morning we both found our way to the living room shortly after getting up. He was sipping on a morning coffee and I was stretching out a bit in preparation for a short run. I should point out that this family friend is someone that I've always really admired and respected. Still do. He's got a quick wit, is a wonderful husband and father, and is very sincere in his faith.

Anyway, I happened to notice a quizzical look on his face as he was watching me finish stretching out. "What you thinking about, David (not his real name)?" I asked.

He paused a moment and then said, "I was just sitting here wondering whether I should start exercising so that I can look like you, or whether I should just wait ten years and see if you look like me."

Wow! Even though the comment was witty, was made in fun, and we laughed it off at the time, it was filled with wisdom. Right then and there I realized that one's physical health is not determined so much by what one has done, but by what one continues to do.

I'm thankful to still be in decent shape today largely because I've taken that one little comment to heart. I hope you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment