Thursday, May 27, 2010

Of Mowing Hay and Considering Wisdom

Readings today included: Proverbs 4, 5, 6 and Romans 8. Reflections below are based on the S.O.A.P. method of reading and reflecting on the Scriptures.

Scripture Verse that caught my attention: Proverbs 4:7 The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom,
and whatever else you get, get insight.

Observation: wisdom may or may not be directly tied to salvation, but either way it can make for a fuller life here on earth. And Spiritual wisdom understands and embraces life on a whole new level.

Application: Even though I’m a pastor, I also live on a farm. Most of it is rented out, but I do have five acres of hay that I personally tend. Early this morning it was time to mow the hay. I always enjoy driving a tractor out in the field. When pulling the haybine (what cuts and conditions the hay) with a tractor, it is tempting to just keep right on going with the assumption that everything is working properly. But wisdom has taught me to look back on a regular basis. It’s a good lesson because twice today I noticed the hay was bunching up on the cutter bar (and thus not being cut). Without a sharp eye, it’s easy not to overlook this problem for a while until you have a big pile-up. But with the wisdom of experience, it was a problem that was easily solved before it became a big issue.

Earthly wisdom, like that described above, is nice. But Spiritual wisdom is far greater. It involves being able to distinguish between what is important and what is not so important. Spiritual wisdom looks way back to the work of God through Jesus on the cross, way forward to the kingdom to come, and also pays close attention to the workings of God through us and others in the here and now. Once in a while I feel like I might have this wisdom. Far more often it’s abundantly clear that I could use a whole lot more of it. Thankfully, I am known by the Crucified and Risen one who beckons me and all who are willing to simply look to him and behold all the wisdom we could ever need.

Prayer: Lord, please keep reminding us that you are the source of all wisdom and strength. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment