Friday, May 28, 2010

What is seen through the Lattice

Readings today included: Proverbs 7, 8, & 9 and Romans 9. Reflections below are based on the S.O.A.P. method of reading and reflecting on the Scriptures.

Scripture Verses that caught my attention: Proverbs 7:6-9 For at the window of my house
I looked out through my lattice,
7 and I saw among the simple ones,
I observed among the youths,
a young man without sense,
8 passing along the street near her [the prostitute’s] corner,
taking the road to her house
9 in the twilight, in the evening,
at the time of night and darkness.

Observation: People see what we do, for good or for ill.

Application: Years ago I was at some kind of secular computer exposition. There were tons of vendors selling their various computer-related wares. I was interested in finding a CD-drive to install in my old pc (I think the PC might have had a whole 4 MB of ram back then!). While there I noticed, from behind, a married pastor I knew from another denomination. I was just about to say hello when I realized that he was looking at a piece of software with the word “Playboy” on it. Hmmm...

Now the 8th commandment says not to bear false witness against our neighbor and Martin Luther says that means to speak well of one’s neighbor and explain his or her actions in the kindest way. So I will suggest that perhaps he was either doing ‘research’ into the ways of the world that trip up so many, or he was simply looking for some new ideas to share with his lovely wife at home! Regardless of his intentions, the real point in all of this is the same as what the author of Proverbs was trying to say so very long ago—people see us in action. Sometimes we are aware of being seen and sometimes we are not. But whenever we are seen, people form opinions of us. And we don’t always have opportunity to either explain our actions or, if appropriate, to confess our sin.

To be clear, Paul reminds us in Romans that our salvation is based on faith, not works. And we all have our foibles--some of which are well known and others that we struggle with alone. God’s big enough to handle all of that. But not necessarily the people who see us ‘through the lattice’—a humbling reality worth keeping in mind.

Prayer: Lord, help us, whether clergy or lay, to demonstrate our dependence on you, whether or not we are in public view. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment