Thursday, October 28, 2010

When Love Gets Ya

Scripture Verses that Caught My Attention today: Job 19:25-26 For I know that my Redeemer lives,
and that at the last he will stand upon the earth;
26 and after my skin has been thus destroyed,
then in my flesh I shall see God,

Observation: Job has faith during especially interesting circumstances; his life is in shambles, but still he hopes on.

Application: I’m struck by Job’s understanding of God being alive and well and potentially responsive even though Job also often muses, even earlier in this same chapter, about this same God more or less deserting him. And even though Job uses the word ‘redeemer,’ the Jesus we have heard of would not yet have been known in the ancient BC era; so Job sees the Almighty as the redeeming one.

Job’s deeply hopeful perspective is one from which many of us can take note. It’s easy to want and expect some form of justice in this world (particularly when we might be the beneficiaries!). When it is not quickly forthcoming we are often tempted to respond with any number of emotions including the predictable and reasonable questions of “Why?” and “Is God really there?”.

Job is convinced that the Almighty exists, has divine prerogative, and will certainly act sooner or later. And although he is not particularly happy about it, Job nevertheless seems remarkably comfortable with the ‘later’ part of that equation. Many of us, it seems, would do well to follow suit.

Prayer: Lord, there’s an old song with the line, “sooner or later, love is gonna get ya.” I think that’s true…and I think it’s through you. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Scripture Readings included Job 19 and Mark 1-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment