Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Deer-Stand Exercises

Earlier this week I tried my hand at deer hunting. I tweeted that "thus far in the game of hunting game, the game are winning." But that didn't stop me from getting in some exercise. It was far from a full workout, but here's what I did.

But first let me give you the context. Our "deer-stand" is actually an old hay-wagon with about 30 bales of old and basically unusable hay placed in a semicircle. I can sit in the middle and the rest of the bales block the wind. Unconventional, but nice...and roomy too!

Okay, so on with the workout.

First I did what I call ultra-slow, staged squats. That means arising from a seated position just a few inches what I call 'stage 1'), holding for the count of ten and then rising another few inches ('stage 2') and counting to 10, etc. I was able to get about five different stages on the way up and other five on the way down. My legs could definitely feel the burn. Did that a few times.

Next I slowly stretched out to a push-up position with my hands and feet on bales of hay. Did that exercise in stages too.

From there I slowly climbed off the side of the wagon and then went underneath the wagon where I could hold onto the wagon frame and do inverted rows. I just did those the regular way.

Then I got back on the wagon and slowly got into a plank position. Actually did a 2-minute plank (which is a mighty long time) and then slowly moved into a side-plank position and held those positions for 30 seconds with 15 slow leg raises.

That was it. Like I said, it wasn't a full workout, but it was a relatively creative way to get in a workout even while out in the woods. Plus it helped to warm me up from the cold.

I hope this inspires you to be creative and have fun with your own workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment