Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Prayer Alerts!

Scripture Verse that caught my attention today: Colossians 4:2 Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with thanksgiving.

Observation: Prayers should be ‘alert’ and ‘thankful.’

Application: In our family one of our traditions and faith practices is prayer before bed. It’s what we do with the kids, more so on an individual basis than together these days since they tend to go to bed at different times and such.

To be honest, these are probably not the most ‘alert’ prayers. By that time of the day we tend to be tired and winding down for the night. In a nutshell the prayers that I often offer at such times go something like this: “Dear God, thank you for this day and for helping us through [whatever anyone in the family went though that day]. Help us have a good night’s sleep and help us tomorrow with [whatever’s on our family’s agenda for the next day]. In Jesus’ name, Amen.” Then we share the Lord’s Prayer together.

Is this prayer thankful? Basically yes, but not necessarily ‘alertly’ so. And is the prayer very ‘alert’ to begin with? Probably not so much.

Of course, it’s not the only time I pray during the day and during the other prayer times I do tend to be more alert in nature—but not always. Why?

Perhaps because sometimes we forget that we are actually in conversation with the living God. Prayer isn’t really meant to be a one-way offering. There should be time and energy for the response. A good friend will periodically say to another good friend, “don’t ask me for my opinion unless you really want to hear it!” Could that be the case in our conversations with God as well? I’m not necessarily referring to an audible response, since I’ve never had one of those myself. But I am talking about being aware or, perhaps, in tune with the ways of the Almighty and how we might best participate as people from the kingdom of heaven on earth. That will probably be easier if we wake up during our prayers.

Prayer: Dear God, help me to be more alert to your promptings—in times of prayer and always. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Scripture Readings today included: Colossians 1-4)

No comments:

Post a Comment