Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Still Learning...

Scripture Verse that Caught My Attention today: Matthew 13:51 “Have you understood all this?” They answered, “Yes.”

Observation: Ha! LOL. You’ve got to be kidding!

Application: One of today’s readings was Matthew chapter 13. I spent about 5 minutes reading it and now now I’m somewhat startled to see that nearly an hour has gone by as I have puzzled over it! The hour included consulting some writings from one of my favorite Gospel experts, Brian Stoffregen. I was trying to see if his reflections could help me ‘figure out’ the parable of the weeds and the wheat.

This hasn’t been wasted time; in the service of my ordination I was asked by the Bishop point blank, “will you be diligent in your study of the Holy Scriptures…?” I replied, “I will, and I ask God to help and guide me.” Still, after nearly 20 years in ministry I continue to be amazed at the number of things I don’t yet know!

As for the parable of the weeds and the wheat, I’ll hopefully have more to say about that on the weekend of July 17th when that passage is one of the lectionary readings in church. For now I just have to roll my eyes at the naïve enthusiasm of the original disciples who actually answered ‘yes’ when Jesus asked if they ‘understood all this.’ Jesus probably rolled his eyes too, but hung in there with them. I’m trusting that he’ll do the same with me.

Prayer: Lord, thanks for your patience as we struggle to figure out what it means to be part of your kingdom here on this earth. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(readings today included: 2 Samuel 1, Psalm 140, and Matthew 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment