Monday, April 4, 2011

Taking to Heart the Value We have Today

Scripture verse that caught my attention today: 2 Corinthians 4:5 For we do not proclaim ourselves; we proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord and ourselves as your slaves for Jesus’ sake.

Observation: This whole chapter is one of my favorites in the Bible. And this verse sheds light on how Paul understood himself in relation to God.

Application: My mind continues to be occupied today with ponderings related to the following quote that I read yesterday: “I guess I believe in the church of personal responsibility. So here’s this week’s Sunday morning gospel.” From there the author went on to list two or three motivational quotes.

I have deep respect for the person who wrote the quote above, which may explain why I’m so especially disturbed by it. Although I agree that many of us do not take enough personal responsibility for our life and circumstances, to actually place one’s ultimate hope in personal responsibility concerns me because it is not, well, healthy. Accomplishment may bring a sense of satisfaction, but it cannot bring true peace.

That’s why I love this chapter of 2 Corinthians. Read the whole thing if you can. There’s plenty of motivation within it, plenty of encouragement to not be discouraged by various obstacles. Yet the heart of the matter is about understanding ourselves in relation to someone far greater than ourselves.

The crucified and risen Christ has had mercy upon us. We will never have any more or less value in the eyes of Christ than we do at this very moment. To recognize that fact by faith is to have peace…and freedom…and to even be inspired to want to do more, not because we have to but (if such is the case) because we can.

Whatever hope and peace I’ve found (and continue to find by the grace of God, sometimes in spite of myself!) is not constrained by my own limited abilities for accomplishment and reason. If there's a reason to 'never, ever, ever give up,' it's because Christ Jesus has never, ever, ever, given up on us. And it is why I think it makes a lot of sense to find our own ways to, like Paul, proclaim Christ Jesus as Lord and to understand ourselves as servants/slaves for Jesus’ sake.

It doesn't have to be done with great bravado or even a ton of overly religious language. In fact, I find such a tact largely counter productive. Simple, faithful, consistent, and humble service to others (whether they have faith or no faith) is more in keeping with the One we claim to proclaim.

Prayer: Lord, be with any of us who sincerely want to be more efficient and/or productive and yet help us place our true hope in you--where such hope can ultimately be found. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(readings today included Judges 19-21 and 2 Corinthians 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment