Friday, August 5, 2011

Nutritionally Surviving a County or State Fair

Our family went to our state fair yesterday; our kids each had demonstration projects through an organization called 4-H.

(Was initially shocked at the long ling waiting to get in until we found out that most of them were "extras" for a movie coming out in 2012 called "Parker." Jennifer Lopez will be in it, but she wasn't there that day. Instead they were filming guy scenes, one of which included the male star (whose name I don't know) dressed as a priest with a brief-case. So when the movie comes out, remember, you heard it from me first!)

"Fair Food," as it is popularly called, is not normally very fair to one's body at all. Much of it tends to be greasy and fat-laden, a cornucopia of empty calories masked as something you've just got to have, even at its exorbitant Fair price, which, of course, also isn't fair.

Now, granted, many nutrition programs and/or diets allow for one "cheat" or "free" day per week. But that doesn't mean you should totally pig out with super-sized servings from one fair booth after another. Preparation and moderation are key. Here's what I did.

First, I ate my normal healthy breakfast.

Second, I made my normal healthy-style frozen smoothie to take along and drink an hour or so later. The goal is to start the day right with some good healthy basics.

Third,I packed a small bag of raisins and almonds for an afternoon snack.

Fourth, we were set to arrive at the fair around 1:30, so we grabbed fast food nearby which was cheaper and, if one chooses well, at least a little healthier. Ideally I would have gotten a baked potato and small chilli. But since I was driving, I had to move to the next best thing: Two plain junior hamburgers with bacon. I also, had a couple chicken nuggets since I hadn't had any of those in forever. (Honestly, I only ate 2-3 and didn't even enjoy them that much. Grease just doesn't taste good anymore.)

Fifth, for supper the kids and I started with delicious appetizers at the Vitamix Demonstration booth! (We bought a Vitamix from the same guy at last year's fair. No regrets...love it and use it almost every day.) Enjoyed samples of Tortilla soup, 2-3 smoothies, and freshly-made all-natural peanut butter.

Sixth, for supper I had one ear of corn (no butter, it was plenty juicy and delicious on it's own with a touch of salt) and a grilled-chicken sandwich topped with peppers and onions. Earlier I also had a few bites of our son's turkey leg and a few sips of our daughter's peach milkshake.

Seventh, I always had a bottle of water with me and refilled it often.

Eighth, I had two home-made cookies when I got home because, well, they were there.

But all in all it was a great day. I never got tired or sluggish from sugar highs and lows and easily made the 2-hour drive home late in the night. Woke up this morning ready to start another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment