Friday, August 19, 2011

To Follow or Lead?

Scripture Verses that caught my attention today: Psalm 105:43 So he brought his people out with joy,
his chosen ones with singing.
AND
John 21:18-19 Very truly, I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten your own belt and to go wherever you wished. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you where you do not wish to go.” 19 (He said this to indicate the kind of death by which he would glorify God.) After this he said to him, “Follow me.”

Observation: The psalm points out that, at the time of the Exodus, God had high hopes and the people had high hopes. God’s people had experienced oppression and now it was time for a new day. But history shows that the people had trouble figuring out how to live in this new freedom. In the gospel, Jesus describes to Peter a different future, one where he will be less free. And Jesus invites him to embrace it!

Application: I’m hard-pressed to know what to wish for some days.

It would be easier to know what to wish for if I were not aware of the various messages found in the Scriptures. If I could naively wish for whatever I wanted, without the knowledge that God might have something else in mind, I could simply follow my own devices.

But the witness of Jesus indicates that things are not always as they seem. Might is not always right. First is sometimes last. ‘Blessings’ are often curses. Truly living involves dying—which is the gift I am about to give this annoying fly that is pestering me as I type! Go figure.

One of the wishes/pursuits I’ve often nurtured over the years are attempts to become a better leader. Author Len Sweet, however, has caught my attention with the contrasting premise in one of his new books “I Am a Follower.” I haven’t read it yet, but the promotional material indicates that within its pages Len will argue that we don’t need more leaders for Christ but, rather, more followers of Christ. Maybe that’s what Jesus, after giving Peter rather eerie notice, still said, “Follow Me.”

Prayer: Lord, help us all to improve our followership skills. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Jeremiah 45-47, Psalm 105, and John 21)

No comments:

Post a Comment