Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Verse I'd Just as Soon Forget

Scripture Verse that caught my attention today: Acts 14:22 There they strengthened the souls of the disciples and encouraged them to continue in the faith, saying, “It is through many persecutions that we must enter the kingdom of God.”

Observation: Paul and Barnabas understood well the cost of discipleship.

Application: This is one of those verses that I’d just as soon forget. I don’t like the sound of it! And yet, it is strangely comforting…sometimes…like when we are feeling a little persecuted in some way.

I’ve got a few things on my mind that, to my dismay, are keeping me from sleeping at a time when I would really like to be sleeping. “Persecution” is way too strong of a word to describe it. “Life” is more accurate. It has its ups and its downs. Worries and concerns can grab our attention and, sometimes, hold sway.

No matter. It’s apparently part of the process of entering the kingdom of God.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for the reminder that our walk with you is not always easy and yet, in its own way, it is deeply rewarding…even if only we are reminded that other people of faith have walked a similar or much more difficult path. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Leviticus 4-6 and Acts 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment