Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Being Human

Scripture Verse that Caught my attention today: Psalm 69:6 Do not let those who hope in you be put to shame because of me,
O Lord GOD of hosts;
do not let those who seek you be dishonored because of me,
O God of Israel.

Observation: this Psalm as a whole covers a lot of interesting ground. It offers a realistic portrayal of the human condition, a continual hope/trust in God, and an acknowledgement that sometimes we suffer unjustly too. Still, all is for God’s glory.

Application:
There’s an old saying, coined by the Apostle Paul, that goes like this: “For we do not proclaim ourselves; we proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord and ourselves as your slaves for Jesus’ sake.” (2 Cor. 4:5). This is, in fact, the proper role for the preacher, both in proclamation and in everyday life. We may be set apart for the calling, yet we live as a part of the body—a body that is broken yet still loved by God.

It would be interesting to know what all was going through David’s mind when he wrote this Psalm. Then again, it doesn’t really matter. I think every authentic preacher of every age is well aware of his or her own foibles. Our preaching is never based on personally having it all together (we can only wish!), but on a trust that the good news proclaimed to those who gather is intended for us as well. Preaching is like Holy Communion—we offer it to others, but we also receive it. I think David understood such things. I think, no matter what, he wanted God to receive all the glory. This is as it should be.

Prayer: Dear God, sometimes I wonder why you make us all so…well, human. Then again, I’m not aware of any viable alternatives. I have no desire to be, say, a dog or a cat. I guess I’ll just stick with what I am and trust that you know best. I’ll also pray that my preaching and living would reflect a deep dependence and gratitude for you far above anyone or anything else. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Joshua 7-8, Psalm 69, and 1 Corinthians 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment