Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Post number 500

Just noticed that today's devotion is my 500th post on this blog. It's just a number, but an interesting little milestone nonetheless. For whatever it's worth, here's today's entry...

Scripture Verse that Caught my attention today: Deuteronomy 5:6 I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; 7 you shall have no other gods before me.

Observation: Sometimes the particular Scriptures we read share a convergence that is quite intriguing.

Application: Here’s the scoop. Earlier this morning I reviewed the Scripture lessons that are appointed for this coming Sunday (Exodus 20:1–17, Psalm 19, 1 Corinthians 1:18–25, John 2:13–22). I also reviewed a text (Mark 14:3-9) that I chose several weeks ago to preach on for tonight’s Wednesday evening service.

Then I read today’s devotional readings (Deuteronomy 5-6, Psalm 43, and Mark 14).

Deuteronomy chapter 5 includes the 10 Commandments. These commandments are also found in one other place in the Old Testament which happens to be Exodus 20—part of this Sunday’s readings mentioned above.

The New Testament reading assigned for today is Mark chapter 14 which includes the section that I had previously planned to preach on tonight.

I’m not necessarily suggesting that this convergence of readings is all some sort of divine plan. Nor am I denying the possibility of such. I’m just grateful. It just causes me to take an extra pause…sort of like when Peter heard the cock crow for the second time (also found in chapter 14 of Mark).

Even Psalm 43 is pertinent. It speaks of the desire:
for vindication;
for being led by God’s light and truth,
and for understanding of why a soul can at times be so disquieted within.

No wonder the Scriptures proclaim that we shall have no other gods.

Prayer: Dear Lord, regardless of who or what leads us to encounter particular scriptures on any particular day, I am deeply grateful for each new day and the Scriptures which are offered. Both the day and the Scriptures are a gift…a cause for pause and reflection in Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment