Thursday, March 15, 2012

Longer than normal post about taking your time.

Scripture Passage that caught my attention today: Galatians 6:12-18 It is those who want to make a good showing in the flesh that try to compel you to be circumcised—only that they may not be persecuted for the cross of Christ. 13 Even the circumcised do not themselves obey the law, but they want you to be circumcised so that they may boast about your flesh. 14 May I never boast of anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15 For neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is anything; but a new creation is everything! 16 As for those who will follow this rule—peace be upon them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.
Gal. 6:17 From now on, let no one make trouble for me; for I carry the marks of Jesus branded on my body.
Gal. 6:18 May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers and sisters. Amen.

Observation: Paul was most certainly upset when he wrote his letter to the Galatians. He saw their actions and motives, however well-intended, as lacking Christian substance and even diametrically opposed to the freedom and Spirit we are called to have in Christ. Still, by letter’s end, he was able to sincerely wish them well.

Application: Back in Paul’s day there was a considerable time-lag in communications. Letters were physically difficult to write to begin with (no word-processors or even modern pens and paper) and then it was sometimes months before the letter would even arrive. So each letter had to cover a lot of ground, from the opening greeting to the meat of the content to the words of peace at the end. With the time lag came time to reflect, time to get fired up and time to cool back down.

I remember of a time when a ‘demand’ was placed before me. I altered my schedule and gave it near immediate attention. A colleague, upon learning about it, offered this piece of wisdom.

“I have found it helpful to take my time (sometimes days) before responding
to requests / demands like this. As a leader, I really try to put issues
like this on my timeline. Also, I'm not that good on my feet, so that extra
time allows prayer, reflection, and wise counsel from others.”

I think Paul took such time in composing his letter. Yes, he was concerned. He’s barely through with his greeting at the beginning of Galatians before he jumps right in with his concerns. But he’s also careful to root his message from start to finish in the saving work of Christ, the marks of which, we are told, are branded on his body.

Prayer: Dear God, I wonder how much time you take before responding to our immediate requests. Do you drop everything (including the needs of others) and come running to see what’s up with us? Or do you take your good old sweet time? I’m guessing that it just depends on the situation. As the all-knowing One, you probably know right away how far up the scale of importance our particular concerns actually rise. Could I have one of those scales, maybe to put on my office wall? That way I’d have a more vivid sense of where my worries or concerns stack up. Better yet, could I have a second one to put outside my office for other people to see how their own concerns stack up before they come in? Or would you rather have me/us just spend a little more time in prayer, a little more time recognizing the needs around us, and come to realize that, with time, the scale I/we might seek is already before us when we focus on you? Is that what you mean when, through, Paul, you declare that “a new creation is everything?” In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Deuteronomy 28-29 and Galatians 6)

No comments:

Post a Comment