Monday, June 11, 2012

Faithful Witnesses

Scripture Passage that Caught my attention today: Philippians 1:12-14 I want you to know, beloved that what has happened to me has actually helped to spread the gospel, 13 so that it has become known throughout the whole imperial guard and to everyone else that my imprisonment is for Christ; 14 and most of the brothers and sisters, having been made confident in the Lord by my imprisonment, dare to speak the word with greater boldness and without fear.

Observation: Paul has a way of seeing the hand of God through all of his experiences, especially the difficult ones.

Application: As I read through the first chapter of Philippians this morning I was struck by any number of inspiring words that seemed especially apropos. But I settled on the verses above because they remind me of the faithful witness of some of the people who have inspired me. And this inspiration did not arise out of some kind of heroics on these people’s part. Rather, it was their simple unassuming and gracious manner that won me over. Their ability to shun tit-for-tat exchanges, to move forward with an emphasis on faith and humility rather than with self-assurance and bravado. In so doing they demonstrated that whatever power there is to be found is rooted in Christ and not themselves. That makes for a faithful witness.

With such insights the Apostle Paul looked upon his imprisonment as opportunity for the gospel to be spread. Later in the chapter we learn that he even saw those who were seemingly insincere in their proclamation to be of some value in announcing the coming kingdom. So come what may, Paul trusted that God’s work would be done and he was willing to let some of that work be done through him and/or through his circumstances, however painful they may have been.

That’s pretty much what we hope is true for all of us who claim to be grasped by the love of Jesus.

Prayer: Lord, your ways are not our ways and yet our ways are occasions for your ways to be made known. May it be so more and more with each passing day. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Song of Songs 5-8 and Philippians 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment