Saturday, June 16, 2012

Three Important Words...and a Sign

Scripture Verses that caught my attention today: Colossians 2:6-7 As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, continue to live your lives in him, 7 rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.

Observation: The word “continue” is an important word in the passage above. So are the words “received” and “thanksgiving.”

Application: One of the most important things in life is to remember whose we are, who we are, and what that means for us. The verses above are helpful on all of those accounts. But first a little history.

I first became acquainted with the two verses above many years ago I was involved in a little Bible study that included memorizing Scripture. These verses were pretty much the basis for the entire Bible Study, though that’s about all I remember about it.

Today comes opportunity to review them again and I am struck by at least a few insights.

First, Christ Jesus the Lord is someone we receive more than seek. Christ first comes to us…as gift…as precious gift…not meant to be forgotten. Hence the word “continue.”

Second, continuing to live in Christ is daily work. I don’t mean ‘work’ in a bad way but, rather, in a good way. But it does require diligence because otherwise we are all-to-prone to forget the very gift we have received. Although this isn’t my personal style, I know some pastors who regularly wear a clergy collar not because they have some kind of a need to parade their calling but, rather, because they appreciate having a visible reminder to themselves of who they are called to be. Good for them. I say do whatever it takes to remember whose we are.

Third, the more we continue to live our lives in Christ the more we are able to overflow with thanksgiving. And, in fact, one of the tell-tale signs that we might not be living as fully in Christ as perhaps we should is when we cease being thankful.

That last sentence is perhaps my most insightful one in some time.

When we allow worry and fear and consternation to replace or trump our sense of thanksgiving, there’s a good chance that we are not living our lives as fully in Christ as we might. Same goes for when our speech and actions reflect more about what we think we deserve rather than thanksgiving for what we already have.

Personally I find that I alternate/waver between thanksgiving and various forms of worry. I do some of one and then some of the other. Only one is healthy, but both are part of my daily existence. One leads to a greater sense of life. The other leads in the direction of death. Why do I not ditch the latter and retain only the former? God only knows!

Clearly I need the daily practice of Spiritual nurture and the weekly practice of Spiritual worship for me to help me to continue to live my life in him. And I’m deeply grateful for those opportunities.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for all that you provide. Help me to be more thankful. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: 1 Kings 17-19 and Colossians 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment