Thursday, December 15, 2011

Asking the Lord how it's Going.

“Good evening Lord. How’s it going?”

That’s how a couple of our congregation often begin their prayers at the start of meetings. I think it was a brilliant insight to actually ask God how things are going.

So often when we pray we want to tell God how things are going for us. We tend to be so self-absorbed.

That’s not completely bad. Certainly God has interest in our situations. The birth of Christ is probably the ultimate expression of God’s interest in us.

Nevertheless, turning the question around toward God opens up a whole new dimension of thought.

How IS it going, Lord?

It’s not hard to imagine the possible responses. I can almost hear God saying,

“Well, to tell you the truth, it’s been a rough day. Some of my people wouldn’t share and so a multitude of my people died of hunger, just like they did yesterday…and the day before that. On top of that, a bunch of the marriages that I put together, and told humans not to put asunder, are really struggling these days and I worry about them. And then there’s the fighting—sometimes between nations and people with weapons but even more often with words. I can hardly stand it. Yes, it’s been a tough day. Thanks for asking.”

How would we respond if we heard God say something like that? I don’t know about you, but I’d be inclined to want to jump in and try to do something! While thinking about what I might do, I might also hear God say something like this:

“I must admit there have been some bright spots. I saw a community of faith act like they really cared today too. They welcomed the stranger, visited the prisoner, and otherwise showed that they really do worship me. They don’t presume to always know what I think (it bugs me when people act like they always know what I think!), but they do presume to always believe that I care. And, of course, I DO really care!”

“By the way,” God might continue, “I care about you too. What’s going on in your life? How can I help you to be more grateful and/or more hopeful, and to see the plans I have for you? How are things going for you?”

At that point we’ve got a real conversation going. Put anther way, at that point the answer to prayer becomes the prayer.

Perhaps that’s a good way to begin the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment