Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I can do all things through Christ?

Scripture Passage that caught my attention today: Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Observation:
This context of this verse is often overlooked.

Application: This verse is very popular, especially among athletes. It is often used as a motivator of sorts with lots of emphasis on the “I” and an implicit assumption that Christ will undoubtedly help us do what we want to do. It’s a particularly American understanding of the Bible, with a focus on individual will, independence, and achievement. But is this what the verse is really all about?

Not really. Here’s the full paragraph within which the verse is found:

I rejoice in the Lord greatly that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned for me, but had no opportunity to show it. 11 Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. 14 In any case, it was kind of you to share my distress.


When Paul wrote “I can do all things through him who strengthens me” he was referring more to survival than to individual accomplishment, more to submission to God rather than presenting expectations to God, more to dependence rather than independence, more to being open to God’s will rather than to impose our will on God.

This is hardly the stuff of “Lord, I know that you can help me score another touchdown.” It’s more to tune of the Lord helping us hold our head up high even after missing what would have been the game-winning field goal.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not suggesting that God wants us to lose. But neither am I suggesting that God wants us to win. Rather, God gives us what we need to carry on in plenty and in want and to find contentment in any and all circumstances. Hence Paul could write such encouraging words from the confines of a prison cell.

Prayer: Lord, help us to find the contentment that is offered through you. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included Philippians 1-4)

No comments:

Post a Comment