Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Today's Hotel Workout and other thoughts.

I'm at a pastor's retreat at Sawmill Creek. Some of the folks go to the local YMCA to work out in the afternoon. I've done that before too, but it takes so much time! So last night I scoped out the fitness room at the resort to see what kind of workout I might be able to do this morning.

To my delight, they added dumbbells! They had heavier (30, 40, and 45# sets) than I have at home, which was good for some things, not so good for others.

At any rate, while others were on treadmills or elliptical trainers (which is fine, btw...good for them...it's always good to see people getting up early or staying up late or otherwise making time take care of their bodies!) I was doing the following:

Standard Warm-up of: body-weight squats, leg swings, walking lunges, close-grip push-ups, stick-ups, waiter's bows, plank, and light dumbbell dead-lifts.

Set 1:
Explosive Vertical jumps with knee-ups (12)
Lat Pull downs (in lieu of pull-ups) (8)
Incline Dumbbell Presses (10 with 45# dumbbells)
rest 30 seconds, repeat.

Set 2:
Dumbbell Split Squats (8/leg with 45# dumbbells)
Side planks with leg raises (15 seconds static, then 15 leg raises)
rest 30 seconds, repeat.

Set 3:
Dumbbell Inverted rows (used incline bench for this)
Lying hip extensions

Set 4:
Turkish Get-ups (5/side with 30# dumbell first time, light 7.5# dumbell on second set)
Cross-body-mountain climbers (30)
rest, repeat.

Finished with just a few cross-over side sprints for good measure.

Other thoughts
Met two people there and picked up these two tips/insights:

One was a traveling business person who obviously stays in great shape but also mentioned that traveling is "brutal" on health. So it's important to be really assertive taking care of yourself if you're a person who's often on the road.

The second was a woman with diabetes. I gave her kudos for getting up and exercising. Her reply: "Well, I really didn't want to this morning, but I ALWAYS feel better after I do."

There ya go. I hope you feel better too!
Until next time,
Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment