Monday, July 30, 2012

Hotel workout

Exercise Tip: Preparation and Planning is Key

Right now I'm at a Stephen's Ministry training week in Pittsburg, PA. The 44-story hotel naturally has a fitness room, but all fitness rooms are different. So the key for me was to take a few minutes to scope the place out last night so that I could plan my morning workout around what this particular fitness facility had to offer.

In this case they have a great set of dumbells (good) and a number of resistance machines (not so helpful for my routine) and a host of cardio equipment (which I don't need/use for my workouts because in my workouts the cardio is built right in).

Still, I found everything I needed including:

--Space for my warm-up
--a lat pull-down machine to simulate pull-ups
--an exercise ball for some ab work
--a towel to lay on floor for my arm to rest on for side planks
--dumbells for a number of my exercises.

As it turned out, someone else was using the exercise ball when I wanted/needed it, so it's good to know alternative exercises that will accomplish a similar purpose. (In this case I did cross-body mountain climbers instead of Stability-ball Jack-knives.)

the workout was as follows:

Set 1
Lat Pull-downs
Dumbell Squats
One-leg push-ups
rest 30 seconds, repeat set.

Set 2
Bulgarian split squats
Cross-body mountain climbers
rest 30 seconds, repeat set

Set 3
Bent-over dumbell rows
Plank, side-plank and leg raise routine
Overhead dumbell presses.
rest 30 seconds, repeat set.

Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment