Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pleasing God With or Without Faith?

Scripture Verse that caught my attention today: Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, for whoever would approach him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Observation: Are you pleasing God?

Application:
I find this verse curious based on my observations and/or knowledge of humanity over the course of time. I know of a lot of people who most certainly believe God exists and who most certainly were trying to please God but who, in the process, performed dastardly acts. I cringe when I consider of the crusades and other well-intentioned but fatally-flawed approaches to pleasing the almighty. They had faith and they were trying to please God, but it’s hard to believe that they actually succeeded. Perhaps I’m simply succumbing to the age-old delusional practice of creating God in our own image, but I’m inclined to think that God weeps more often than rejoices over our purported efforts to please.

If that’s what we often do with faith, I shudder to consider what kind of emotions those without faith stir up in the creator of the universe.

Elsewhere in Scripture there is talk of those who do not know the law still doing instinctively what the law requires (cf. Romans 2:14). Jesus himself even speaks of the merits of an unjust judge who has no fear of God and no respect for anyone (cf. Luke 18:1-8). Maybe it is possible to please God without faith.

Prayer: Lord, with or without faith we are your people. Use us as you will. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Isaiah 19-21, Hebrews 11)

No comments:

Post a Comment