Monday, November 19, 2012

Good Ol' JTB

Scripture Verses: Matthew 3:17-18 But when he saw many Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 8 Bear fruit worthy of repentance.

Observation: John was a brave soul, able to speak very direct truth to powerful people. Very gutsy.

Application: There are times that I wish that I could be as direct as John the Baptist (JTB). But truth be told, it’s not so much a matter of a lack of confidence as it is as a lack of surety. I am so deeply aware of the infiltrating nature of sin, that it’s hard to feel like I could ever be so scathing in my pronouncements without, in some way, being hypocritical. By the same token, not only do I believe in the infiltrating nature of sin, but I also believe in the redeeming nature of grace which allows even decrepid individuals to offer something of worth in the world, sometimes even in spite of themselves. So it’s hard for me to totally count anyone out.

To be fair, JTB didn’t count people out either. He offered a call to action: “Bear fruit worthy of repentance.” In other words, demonstrate the depth of your sincerity.

I guess that’s something we all struggle to do. Before challenging others with such clarion calls, we’d be wise begin by taking JTB’s call to action personally.

Prayer: Lord, you offer so much opportunity to demonstrate our thankfulness. Enable us to take advantage of such things with joy in our heart. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included Matthew 1-4)

No comments:

Post a Comment