Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Workout and Eating Plan

It's Thanksgiving and I'm at a nice state park resort with family for a 50th anniversary celebration. The question to myself was, what shall I eat and of what shall my workout consist?

It all starts with a little simple planning.

For starters, before leaving home I put a cup of rolled oats, 1/3 cup of raisins, and a couple teaspoons of flax-seed into a small zip-lock bag. So for breakfast I just purchased a serving of milk from the restaurant, poured my breakfast mixture into a bowl and enjoyed the same healthy breakfast that I normally have at home.

I won't be able to have my regular smoothie here mid-morning, but I've got almonds and apples which will make for a fine mid-morning snack. I've also got some carrots handy for a little carry-over since our big thanksgiving feast won't begin until 1:30. Then it will just be a matter of all things in moderation, filling up with those good things that will do the least damage and only sampling the nutritional disasters that we all want to enjoy now and then.

As for the workout, I must say that the fitness room in this resort is disproportionately poor in comparison with just about everything else they offer. The room is small and included 1 treadmill, 1 stair-climber, and about 4 Schwin stationary bikes. I would certainly have liked to see at least a set of dumb-bells.

But a wimpy fitness room can't hamper my ability to have a good workout. I don't even have to have a fitness room at all. But this morning I used a 3-exercise circuit (done 4 times) involving the stationary bike, 1-leg push-ups, and cross-body mountain-climbers. The key was to remember to bring my gymboss timer, set for 18 and 27 seconds respectively, and I was good to go.

So I've had a good breakfast, I've had a good workout, I've had my time of devotion, and no matter what happens from this point on, my day has already had a very good start. I hope yours started well too. But if not, just make the best of it from this point onward.

Have a Blessed Thanksgiving.

Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment