Thursday, November 15, 2012

Today's Workout: Excuses be Gone.

Today I was one round into my workout when the cell phone rang. I knew it was my wife on the line and I knew I probably needed to stop my workout and take the call (while my workout timer kept periodically beeping) because she was in route to taking the kids to school and it probably had something to do with somebody forgetting something and needing me to bring it in, etc. Well, nobody forgot to bring anything this time but there was a new scheduling and related transportation detail that needed to be worked out and since we had previously decided that our son couldn't have his cell phone back until tomorrow, we needed to figure out the scheduling details now so that he would know where I needed him to be and when so that I could pick him up. We agreed on the library, in case you wanted to know.

Ever been there? Well, we got-er done, but the call took 9 minutes of time and untold amounts of energy mixed with a touch of frustration out of an already busily-scripted day. It was real tempting to just scrap the workout plan at the point and move on.

But then I thought to myself, "the workout only takes 9 minutes. I'm here, I'm in my workout clothes. Let's just do this!"

And so I did. I started over with the opening round of jumping rope, moved to cross-over shuttle runs, on to regular shuttle sprints and then pikes with my feet on a skateboard. I repeated that 4-exercise set two more times for a total of 12 exercises, each performed for 18 seconds followed by 27 seconds of rest.

Done. Finished. Accomplished. Checked-off. Satisfied. Even offered a Lil' old fist-pump in view of the mirror at the end.

Sure, I could have scrapped the whole thing today, and sometimes that's exactly what I've done. But I'll tell you this; I always feel better (physically and mentally) when exercise is part of the day.

Excuses be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment