Saturday, May 28, 2011

Through the Eyes of a General

(Note: I'm on vacation this week and journaling privately. I wrote the following entry several years ago.)
Date: Wednesday, May 28, 2003
Scripture: Proverbs 7-9; Romans 9
Key Scripture: Proverbs 8:2-3 On the heights, beside the way, at the crossroads she takes her stand; 3 beside the gates in front of the town, at the entrance of the portals she cries out:
Topic: Public witness
Title: Through the eyes of a General
Observation: Look at where wisdom can be found; heights (people can see you there), beside the way (people can see you there as they go about their travels), crossroads (like people collecting money for the March of Dimes or some such thing—they can’t be avoided or not noticed while we wait at the light), town gates (where people come and go), portal entrances (I’m not sure what a “portal” is, but I’m envisioning the doors to businesses, restaurants, and the like).

Application: I’m not a lover of military missions by any means. I hate the bloodshed, etc. But I do see an applicable strategy here. Military generals spend their time pinpointing where to “attack.” They pay attention to main thoroughfares, centers of military technology, business, etc. In other words, they find the pressure/leverage/connecting points and there they place their focus. Proverbs speaks of wisdom actively “taking a stand” in these very places. Endeavoring to find the places/points of connection and then offering a cry to “all who live.” I wonder when/if I as a church leader will be equally diligent in discovering and focusing energy on such connective points. Of course, this assumes that those who speak such wisdom actually have such wisdom. Daily time with the King/Shepherd is a good start.

Prayer: Lord, the place I live and work is too safe. I like my office where I can do much church work but little ministry. The walls protect me. Church people and I have a good relationship. I’m generally well thought of and respected by community leaders, but I’m not known to many common folks. I don’t necessarily need to be known, but surely the mission of this congregation should be known. Surely the members of this congregation should be seen at the community connecting points and actively engaged in their mission. But before I can ask them to do such things, I need to learn how to do it myself. I have much to learn—much wisdom to seek. Allow me to heed her/your voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment