Monday, October 10, 2011

Multitasking for the kingdom

Scripture Passage that caught my attention today: Nehemiah 4:16-18a From that day on, half of my servants worked on construction, and half held the spears, shields, bows, and body-armor; and the leaders posted themselves behind the whole house of Judah, 17 who were building the wall. The burden bearers carried their loads in such a way that each labored on the work with one hand and with the other held a weapon. 18 And each of the builders had his sword strapped at his side while he built.

Observation: The rebuilders of the wall had to multitask.

Application: Personally I wish I didn’t have to multitask so often. It seems I could be much more efficient if I could devote my time and energy to one thing at a time. But that’s not the way life is for me at this stage. There are a zillion irons on the fire at once at church and there are a zillion irons on the fire at home. And so I’m often multitasking on church projects and home projects and combinations of the two.

I’m sure the people in Nehemiah’s day would have preferred to devote their energies to either working on the wall or defending the city rather than both at the same time. No such luck. Build with one hand and defend with the other was their only option. Consequently progress took longer than hoped but was still better than nothing. Over time they were actually able to see their progress and experience a certain satisfaction of accomplishment.

The race/experience of life is long, not short—more like a marathon than a sprint. Steady progress is the prize worth eying.

Prayer: Lord, we often think our world is the busiest. Not necessarily so. Challenges have existed for every generation. Help us progress as best we can in the generation in which you have placed us. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings included: Nehemiah 3-4 and Luke 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment