Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Blessing of No Other Options

Scripture Verses that caught my attention today: John 6:66-69 Because of this many of his disciples turned back and no longer went about with him. 67 So Jesus asked the twelve, “Do you also wish to go away?” 68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom can we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We have come to believe and know that you are the Holy One of God.”

Observation: Not having other options is not always a bad thing.

Application: There was admittedly a time when I was dating two women simultaneously. I was not being deceitful. Both were well aware of the situation. Both were of strong Christian faith. Each was quite different and I liked them both. Of course, for those few months, that was the problem; I couldn’t decide. I prayed about this often. “Lord, help me figure this out!”

One day one of them suggested that she and I have a “trial separation” for a month. Okay…and so we did. At the end of that month we met and I said, “so, what do you think?” And she said, though with a kind and gentle smile on her face, “I don’t want to see you anymore.”

Far from being dejected, this was exactly what I had been praying for—a sign. One of the two doors toward the future had been closed. Thankfully the other door to the future, though perhaps starting to close, was still open. And that door led to the most precious relationship on earth I can imagine. Nearly 23 years of marriage and three children later, I can’t imagine to whom else I could ever go.

I think this was the kind of conclusion that Peter had come to as well. He had invested his energies in following Jesus and had come to the point where he believed there was really no other way to live. No other option could compare. And he was right. Not having other options is not always a bad thing. In fact, sometimes it’s the best thing, even an answer to prayer.

Prayer: Lord, I can only say “Thanks!” In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Scripture readings today included: 2 Kings 22, 2 Chronicles 34, John 6)

No comments:

Post a Comment