Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Confidence comes with Trusting the One who Holds us Securely

Scripture verses that caught my attention today: Jeremiah 26:12-15 Then Jeremiah spoke to all the officials and all the people, saying, “It is the LORD who sent me to prophesy against this house and this city all the words you have heard. 13 Now therefore amend your ways and your doings, and obey the voice of the LORD your God, and the LORD will change his mind about the disaster that he has pronounced against you. 14 But as for me, here I am in your hands. Do with me as seems good and right to you. 15 Only know for certain that if you put me to death, you will be bringing innocent blood upon yourselves and upon this city and its inhabitants, for in truth the LORD sent me to you to speak all these words in your ears.”

Observation: Jeremiah’s life wasn’t particularly easy, but he had good courage.

Application: I was just thinking yesterday that in many ways I’ve never been particularly confident. That may sound strange coming from someone who spends a good deal of his time speaking in front of people and leading in other ways. In those areas I am reasonably confident. But in some other areas not so much so. For example, as a youngster I often dreamed of being a great running back in football. You know, breaking lots of tackles and such. But when I actually played football I never really ran with great confidence. Instead I tended to run with caution, maybe because the first time I carried the ball as a freshman I gained 11 yards and then fumbled. Thankfully the ball was recovered, but part of my confidence is probably still bouncing around on that field somewhere; it was never fully recovered. I went on to play relatively well, but never totally thrived.

I appreciate how Jeremiah was able to confidently declare what he felt led to proclaim without fear, really, of dropping the ball. And afterwards he had enough courage to not be overly concerned with what they might do to him because of what he said. I think he was able to do so because he felt fully embraced by our God. He knew that God would not ‘fumble’ him. That’s a good example for me to follow.

Prayer: Lord, thanks for examples in faith and life of how we can more confidently follow you. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Scripture readings today included Jeremiah 26 and, oddly, chapters 35 & 36 and John 20)

No comments:

Post a Comment