Saturday, August 14, 2010

Etched in Stone and In My Mind

Scripture Verse that caught my attention today: John 16:33 I have said this to you, so that in me you may have peace. In the world you face persecution. But take courage; I have conquered the world!”

Observation:
At the end of the day there is Jesus.

Application: There was a time when I sold cemetery property. Seriously. I worked for a small group that handled the pre-need sales for the largest cemetery in Oklahoma. In that cemetery there were several “estates.” A cemetery estate is a large block of plots purchased together. A purchase of that nature allows the owner the ability to erect a very large family gravestone or grouping of stones. Sometimes they are quite elaborate.

One of these estates with elaborate stonework was put up by the Daniel family. I never met any of the members of that family, but I loved the stonework on their estate. Prominently inscribed in the stone was John 16:33. In the King James Version I think it read: “I have said this to you so that ye may have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation. Be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”

Something about seeing that verse etched in stone also left that verse etched in my mind. I can’t read that verse from a Bible anywhere in the world without immediately recalling the image of the Daniel family stone at Memorial Park Cemetery in Tulsa, Oklahoma. And when life does occasionally seem rather tough, I am reminded of the One who has overcome the world, including death.

Prayer: Lord, thanks for the reminders of your awesome power. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Scripture readings today included: Jeremiah 16-17, Psalm 96, John 16)

No comments:

Post a Comment