Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What makes God 'delighted.'

Scripture Verses that caught my attention today: Jeremiah 9:23-24 Thus says the LORD: Do not let the wise boast in their wisdom, do not let the mighty boast in their might, do not let the wealthy boast in their wealth; 24 but let those who boast boast in this, that they understand and know me, that I am the LORD; I act with steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth, for in these things I delight, says the LORD.

Observation: surprisingly hopeful conclusion to otherwise condemning chapters.

Application: I sometimes wonder why God puts up with humanity in general and myself in particular. And from the looks of most of chapters 7, 8, & 9 of Jeremiah, it would appear that God does not and will not put up with humanity in general or me in particular. But then, just when it would seem that all hope is lost, God offers a way out; shift boasting from oneself to that of knowing the Lord.

That, ironically, will actually keep us from boasting because understanding and knowing the Lord is a life-long process. But it starts with realizing what really pleases God or, as Scripture puts it, ‘delights’ the Lord. The Lord is ‘delighted’ to act with steadfast love, justice and righteousness.

Clearly God is unhappy with our wayward and self-serving nature. Still, God actually delights in steadfastly loving us!

I’m still not sure why God delights in such things, but if it makes God happy…☺.

Prayer: Lord, thanks for loving us always, even and especially when we’re not that lovable. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Scripture Readings today in included: Jeremiah 7-9, John 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment