Friday, August 13, 2010

When We're Misunderstood

Scripture Verse that caught my attention today: John 15:20 Remember the word that I said to you, ‘Servants are not greater than their master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also.

Observation: this is a section that is often overlooked.

Application: I have often read and shared the earlier part of this chapter. Verses 9-17 in particular are often shared at weddings. But the section starting at verse 18 is seldom shared. I’m can’t remember if this section is in the lectionary (a 3-year cycle of Scripture selections read during worship in mainline denominations), but I don’t have an easy way to check at the moment.

At any rate, these verses fly in the face of the common sentiment that things will naturally go well for those who claim the Christian faith. In some ways just the opposite is the case. Of course, in the United States very few people are persecuted for what I might call authentic expressions of the Christian faith. More often the people who are persecuted for such things seem to, at least in my estimation, be misrepresenting the Christian faith. But partially because of those who might be misrepresenting the Christian faith, many of us are greeted with a different form of persecution: indifference. For some, Christianity has become the ‘whatever!’ of this world. We are more and more becoming seen/understood as one among many, and of equal, albeit little, value with all the rest.

Sometimes, the way we act, I think we deserve it. But there are other times where we are simply completely misunderstood. But is not the same true of Jesus? He was largely misunderstood. But like Jesus said, we must understand this: “servants are no greater than their master.”

Prayer: Lord, when I am misunderstood, help me to be okay with that. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Scripture readings today included: Jeremiah 13-15 and John 15)

No comments:

Post a Comment