Saturday, August 14, 2010

Today our oldest son will be in a HS football scrimmage. He's a Junior, but I am reminded that at this point in my senior year I weighed in at 158 pounds. I will brag just a little, especially since tonight happens to be my 30th HS reunion. Pound for pound I was quite likely the strongest person on our little team. At the time I could bench-press 285 (on a York Universal Machine with extra weights stacked on top).

In college and for almost all of the years thereafter I weighed between 165 and 178 pounds. I felt good about myself if I was 165, bad if I was over 170.

I remember one point when I was around 28-29 y/o when I weighed 163. Thought at the time that anything less than that wouldn't even be healthy. Figured my body had "matured" and shouldn't be what I weighed in HS anymore.

Well, for the past four or five months I've been right at, you guessed it, 158 pounds when I wake up most mornings. I have no idea what my max bench press is these days, but I do know that I can put up 110# 25 times. Clothes fit better and I'm just grateful to be able to physically do most of the things that I want to do.

Sure, there will always be people (my age or older) who are 'fitter' than I and better suited for high marks in the looks department. But I'm thankful to be able to simply take care of the body that God has been kind enough to offer for my use during my earthly life.

Now...off to the scrimmage! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment