Friday, July 30, 2010

Finding Meaning in Obscure Phrases

Scripture Verse that caught my attention today: Isaiah 60:16 You shall suck the milk of nations,
you shall suck the breasts of kings;
and you shall know that I, the LORD, am your Savior
and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.

Observation: Some odd imagery here, even though I know what the prophet is trying to say.

Application: Growing up on the farm with a Dad who was 48 y/o when I was born often meant hearing various old-time sayings. I think I always knew the gist of what was meant by the sayings in terms of how they applied then and there. But I wasn’t always aware of the origin or original context. For example, as a pre-pubescent boy I knew that the phrase “he’s shot his wad” meant that someone was more or less done. It was only later that the more graphic origin of that saying came to mind!

Thankfully, I seldom actually repeated these phrases. But sometimes I did, at least once in a particularly embarrassing situation. I was on the phone with a female customer service rep. I was apparently haggling for a better deal or reimbursement for something but also didn’t want to be completely unfair. To relay that last sentiment, at one point I said, “I’m not really trying to milk you for all you’re worth.” Say what???

As soon as the words left my lips I suddenly realized how crass and vulgar this old farm saying sounded when spoken to a woman! I’m not sure what I said after that, but it’s a wonder she didn’t respond with, “well, I guess you’ve shot your wad!” Thankfully she was kind enough to overlook my actual wording and concentrate instead on my actual point.

I was reminded of this exchange when I read in today’s lesson “you shall suck the breasts of kings.” I know what the prophet is trying to say, but the visual just doesn’t quite match-up with modern-day sensibilities. By the same token, this time it’s my turn to overlook the actual wording and concentrate instead on the actual point. Through the prophet God was promising a time when God’s struggling people would be restored. That’s a point worth taking to heart, regardless of the somewhat obscure wording.

Prayer: Lord, sometimes we lose a lot of things in translation. But let us never lose a sense of your claim on our lives and your promise for a future that can only be found in you. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment