Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Where's a Good Donkey when you need one?

Scripture Verses that caught my attention today: 2 Peter 2:15-16 They have left the straight road and have gone astray, following the road of Balaam son of Bosor, who loved the wages of doing wrong, 16 but was rebuked for his own transgression; a speechless donkey spoke with a human voice and restrained the prophet’s madness.

Observation:
In the Old Testament a fella named Balaam was determined to head down a road toward certain destruction but his donkey refused to go and eventually even spoke aloud (Numbers 22: 23ff). It’s a great little story. But I especially like the way that 2 Peter summarizes it in the verse above.

Application:
Sometimes I think I would do well to have a talking donkey to restrain my madness at various times. Last Tuesday, for example, would have been a great time for a donkey to say, “hey Kent, are you sure you should get on that horse for the first time that close to the electric fence and without someone leading you? You’re 48 years old after all, and you won’t heal as fast as you used to. I’m just sayin’….”

But alas, no donkey was speaking and who knows whether I would have listened anyhow. And so since my madness couldn’t be constrained, my neck found itself stuck in a C-Collar at the local emergency room. One week later I still end up awake for a couple hours each night in a seemingly futile attempt to get comfortable. Hee Haw, Hee Haw.

Prayer: Dear Lord, hindsight is almost always instructive, but foresight is more desirable still. Donkey or no donkey, I pray that you will lead me through is life and to learn all I can along the way. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Isaiah 53-56, 2 Peter 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment