Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Salvation Found in Patience

Scripture Verse that caught my attention today: 2 Peter 3:15a and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation.

Observation: This is an interesting view of patience. Patience, it has often been said, is a virtue. But to see patience (of the Lord) as salvation certainly raises the bar several notches.

Application: I’d like to think that I’m a lot more patient than I used to be, but I’ve still got a long, long ways to go. Earlier in the day I was somewhat upset and rather short with a couple of our children who were playing a video game together when at least one of them probably should have been working on a project that was due. Later it occurred to me that it won’t be too terribly long before the oldest is off at college and they won’t be able to do things like that together much anymore. And today, for but one example, is yet another time when I wish I would have been more patient, not just for the virtue of it, but even for the salvation of it. Not salvation in the eternal sense. Only Lord can do that. But salvation in the saving (and even savoring) the moment sense. Instead I, as they say, kinda “lost” it. Thankfully, I trust that the Lord is saving everything that I might one day need/want back again, including my very life.

Prayer:
Lord, thanks for your incredible patience with me and us. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Isaiah 57-59, Psalm 103, and 2 Peter 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment