Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hope for When There's Too Much To Do

Scripture Verse that caught my attention today: Psalm 73:26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Observation: It’s best to never be overly focused on oneself, but rather to acknowledge from whom real strength comes.

Application: Just about everyone gets pushed to and beyond their limit at some point. That’s life. And it’s actually a good part about life. For those with faith, often times it’s only when we get pushed to and/or beyond our limits that we realize how dependent we are on the One who created us. And for those without faith, it’s still a time when they must acknowledge the short-comings of being human. Although we humans can certainly do much, humans still do not have the infinite potential that the self-help gurus try to promote.

That’s okay. We weren’t designed with infinite potential. Instead we were designed for finite potential with infinite dependence on the One who is the strength of our heart and is our portion forever. Those are pleasant and reassuring words to keep in mind, both as I do my best to juggle the various irons on the fire right now and also as I make peace with myself over those things that there is simply not enough time to do at the moment.

Prayer: Lord, thanks for being my all in all and for reminding me that whatever I’m not able to do is still secure in your hands or not necessary to begin with. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Scripture readings today included Hosea 10, 11, & 12, Psalm 73 and Hebrews 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment