Friday, July 23, 2010

this and is your land and my land?

Scripture Verses that Caught My Attention today: 1 Peter 2:11-12 Beloved, I urge you as aliens and exiles to abstain from the desires of the flesh that wage war against the soul. 12 Conduct yourselves honorably among the Gentiles, so that, though they malign you as evildoers, they may see your honorable deeds and glorify God when he comes to judge.

Observation:
The author of 1 Peter sees us as only visitors in this world.

Application: I remember being told one time that there is precious little in this world that we can actually own. At first I didn’t think it was true. After all, if your land or other assets are paid for, how could anyone lay claim them? Ahh, but if you don’t pay your property tax…or if you are found negligent in a law-suit, or if you experience divorce or bankruptcy or both, etc….

I’m not quite as eager as the writer of 1st Peter to chuck the whole world. It still seems to me that God loves this world! After all, God created this world! But the writer of 1st Peter nevertheless has a point. The old song “this land is your land, this land is my land” is only partially true. It might be our land for a stretch or two of time, but ultimately we are still visitors (or aliens and exiles, as Peter puts it). The sooner we get a handle on that the better.

Prayer: Lord, help me to keep in perspective the gory of your kingdom in comparison to my mortal flesh. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Scripture Readings today included Isaiah 36-37, Psalm 76, and 1 Peter 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment