Monday, July 26, 2010

Lessons in the wee hours of the morning

Scripture Verses that caught my attention today: 1 Peter 5:6-11 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you. 8 Discipline yourselves, keep alert. Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in your faith, for you know that your brothers and sisters in all the world are undergoing the same kinds of suffering. 10 And after you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, support, strengthen, and establish you. 11 To him be the power forever and ever. Amen.

Observation: It’s good to be reminded and in some way identify with the sufferings of others and to cling to the hope found in the one who will ultimately lift us up.

Application: I’m up at this time in the morning because I have once again woken up with an ache in my right shoulder/arm/hand—a nagging consequence of my horse accident earlier last week that has rendered me distracted from the things that I would like to do and should do in favor of trying to cope with my own physical discomfort. I noticed yesterday afternoon/evening that, although it was an absolutely beautiful day, I had no gumption to do much of anything because I simply didn’t feel up to it. Even working with my laptop computer—a normal staple(?) in my routine—wasn’t appealing because it’s just downright uncomfortable right now.

But last evening I did make this resolve: I was willing to concede the night away, but not the next day. I determined that I could only have my own little pity party for so long. Pain or no pain, it would soon be time to move on, seeking some form of treatment if I must, but finding a way to function regardless. Hence now that I’ve had a few hours of sleep and the new day has at least officially begun, if I’m going to be awake, I’m going to do something, beginning with devotions right now before, hopefully, heading back to bed for a little more shut-eye before daylight.

This relatively minor inconvenience, of course, pales miserably in comparison with those who endure real suffering in our world. I am reminded of those who live with chronic pain in the form of intense head-aches or arthritis or carpel tunnel and any other medical condition that involves persistent discomfort and/or pain. I’m also reminded of those who suffer at the hands of others. One of today’s news headlines concerns a man who once ran a “notorious torture prison” in Cambodia where precious few came out alive. I shudder to think of the atrocities experienced there. Could I in good conscience walk up to one of those survivors and say, “gee, I know how you feel cause my right arm hurts?” I think not!

In 1 Peter we are reminded that in the early days of Christianity our brothers and sisters in Christ knew a thing or two about suffering and the like. Those were times when the faithful were called to make the best of the situation by remaining humble, casting their anxiety on the Lord, remembering others who suffered, disciplining themselves to the extent that they were able, and trusting in the powerful love of Christ to ultimately restore, support, strengthen, and establish them. In today’s readings from Isaiah too we read that the Lord did not forget those who were suffering, even though some of them actually deserved it! (I suppose it could be argued that I deserve it too, getting on a horse for the first time in 25 years right beside an electric fence and all!) But whether the suffering, however great or small, is deserved or not, our Lord identifies with us through the suffering of Jesus himself on the cross. This is why I/we truly can cast whatever anxiety I/we feel on him, because he cares for me/us.

Prayer: Thanks Lord, once again, for the reminders of your presence in time of need. And thanks for the reminder to keep in mind all of your children who suffer in any way. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Isaiah 46-49 and 1 Peter 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment