Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Knock, Knock

Scripture passage that caught my attention today: Revelation 3:17-19 For you say, ‘I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing.’ You do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 18 Therefore I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire so that you may be rich; and white robes to clothe you and to keep the shame of your nakedness from being seen; and salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see. 19 I reprove and discipline those whom I love. Be earnest, therefore, and repent.

Observation: First, these verses stand well on their own. Second, these verses immediately precede one of the Bible’s more famous verses. Revelation 3:20 states, “Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me.”

Application: It’s always a concern when someone says something to the affect of, “I don’t need anyone or anything.” Such people might think they are being completely sincere, but nothing could ever be further from the truth. All of us, at some level, have needs—for companionship, sustenance, and the ability to truly stand tall (not by our own efforts, but with the help of the One who is really able to help us stand).

When Jesus says that he is standing at the door knocking, he does so on the heels and/or in response of/to those of us who somewhat stubbornly insist that we don’t need any help. And in our proclamation of self-sufficiency we reveal the very depth of our weakness. It’s like broccoli in our teeth--obvious to almost everybody around us but hard to see for ourselves without a mirror.

When Jesus knocks he kindly offers both the mirror (so we can see ourselves for who we really are) and his presence (so that we can see how much we are really loved and valued). He also offers a meal—a truly satisfying meal.

Prayer:
Lord, thanks for your persistent knocking. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Ezekiel 4-7 and Revelation 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment