Thursday, October 11, 2012

Focus

Scripture Verses that Caught my attention today: Nehemiah 6:2-3 Sanballat and Geshem sent to me, saying, “Come and let us meet together in one of the villages in the plain of Ono.” But they intended to do me harm. 3 So I sent messengers to them, saying, “I am doing a great work and I cannot come down. Why should the work stop while I leave it to come down to you?”

Observation:
Nehemiah was very focused on his work and was not easily distracted. Although it does seem as if Nehemiah was a touch full of himself, there is still little doubt that his accomplishments were largely a result of his resolute focus on the mission at hand.

Application:
Focus is hard work. There are sooooooo many distractions in life—both from without and within. Yet it does seem as if God’s leaders of old remained focused on their work. They were mindful of what they were doing and of the bigger picture within which they fit. This is more than a lofty long-term goal for someday. Rather, it is a long-term mission with daily ramifications, including the willingness to say “no” to some things in order to say “yes” to others. It’s not as easy as it sounds, but with a listening ear to the Spirit’s nudging, it is possible.

Prayer:
Lord, help me to stay (or get!) focused on your missions at hand. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings included: Nehemiah 5-6, Psalm 146, and Luke 24)

No comments:

Post a Comment