Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Confronting my Independent Streak

Readings today included Proverbs 22, 23 & 24 and Romans 14

Scripture Verses that caught my attention today. Romans 14:7-8 We do not live to ourselves, and we do not die to ourselves. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord; so then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s.

Observation: We are not meant to be independent, or live like we are independent.

Application: Many of us aspire to is to be self-sufficient, to not be ‘dependent’ on anyone else. But is that really such a good idea?

One of the things I would like to have is all of the equipment necessary to make hay. This year I borrowed equipment from four different neighbors! Part of me would like to have all of my own equipment so that I wouldn’t have to bother them with my requests. But on the other hand, they’ve been very gracious in the lending and there’s something to be said for recognizing our need for each other. In one case, in at least a small way, I was able to return the favor.

This is not to say that there would be something wrong with having all of my own equipment. But it would be wrong to then assume that I was independent. In fact, we will always need each other in one way or another.

The same may be true with God. Try as we might to go it on our own, we will still always be dependent on the One who holds us both in life and in death. There is no escape from that reality…nor is there any good reason to attempt to do so.

Prayer: Lord, help me to always recognize my dependence on you in all aspects of my life and even, ultimately, in death. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment